Leaving Northumberland.

Today has been my last day in Northumberland. I'm heading back to Nottingham tomorrow for the start of my second term, which is pretty exciting but also kinda sucks because I love home so much. I love University, Notts is a really great city but my heart belongs in the countryside. The county which I call home is the ruralist in the UK so there aren't many people living here, most of it is taken up with hills and fields. I live in a really tiny village which has no bus services and no phone signal. At stages in my teenage life, I would find that really annoying, especially when first starting high school as it was a 45 minute drive away. However in the past few years I've grown to be truly fond of it. When my friends would come to visit I'd usually hear 'Alexa I don't know how you can live in such an isolated area, it's so far away from everything' and I'd always tell them that if they lived here, they would grow to love it. I think it's important to take note of the little things in life and learn from different opportunities. This is what I've learnt from living in Northumberland:

1. The world is such a playground. My parents would always say to us 'If you're bored, find a way to entertain yourself', this made us go outside more, go on walks, adventures and become more curious about our surroundings.

2. Beauty is literally everywhere, you just have to open your eyes wide enough to notice it.

3. People who sit on their phones all the time are missing out so much on life. I'll admit that sometimes I sit and browse the web but It's a continuous effort of mine to not do it too much.

4. Be spontaneous, travel often, always explore but also make plans. Having passed my driving test last year, I've been given so much more freedom. Living so far away from everything without a driving license is a bit of a bummer as it means that mum and dad would have to drive us everything which would mean we would pretty much have to plane everything about a week in a dance as we would all ant to be in different places. 

5. Be patient, appreciative and grateful for what you have. Patience has come from having to organise a lot of trips growing up and planning around others. My parents have been so great growing up and always helped us out which has made me appreciate them so much more. There were stages in my life where I dreamed of living in a New York apartment, in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the city, however now I'm so eternally grateful for being able to grow up in such a breathtaking area. 

In the past few years I've tried not to set new years resolutions, just continuous goals throughout the year. However this year I'd really like to...

 -Travel often
- Get outside each day on a walk.
- Express my gratitude towards others more often
Go to bed earlier and wake up earlier 
- Be as kind as possible and to always smile.

What're your New Years resolutions and what do you love about where you live? 





Share

6 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful post with some amazing pictures! I totally agree with you. It's so peaceful to be surrounded by just nature! It always calms me down and reminds me of the important things in life!
    I also think that you have set up some great new years resolutions:) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful idea to get out and walk everyday, I want to do it so much, its so difficult when its cold outside though! Good luck with second term!
    http://veryflitting.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! I totally relate to how you feel going back to uni! I love in Cumbria but at uni in Manchester and whilst I love it there I do miss the countryside.

    Katie xo
    http://ktmyblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for commenting, sorry I only got back to you now! I completely agree, going home now almost feels like a detox haha. Hope you have a great 2015 Lily x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far it's gone to plan, as long as you don't set yourself to bigger targets then it's actually really easy and refreshing. It's cold for sure, but then again, thats what big coats are for, and I've been wearing them like there's no tomorrow haha. Thanks for commenting xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cumbria is really lovely! Hope you're enjoying Uni and I completely agree with missing the countryside whilst at uni, but it does make you appreciate it more when you're home. Thanks for commenting Katie.


    Love Alexa x

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.