Makeup: should we wear it?

Here's a picture of a bare faced, majorly freckly Alexa which I posted on Instagram recently (@alexayo). 


In middle school I had a massive fascination with makeup, this was probably due to the fact that my older sister wore it and who doesn't want to be like their older sister when they're young? I loved the way that it made me feel and I really enjoyed the process and routine of putting it on in the morning. I thought that naturally, this fascination would evolve but in some ways it's gone the opposite way. I completely understand people's obsession with makeup, I wasn't a child blessed with blemish free skin, I'm still not a girl blessed with blemish free skin, and so the temptation to cover it all up was very alluring. However as I've grown up, I've come to really focus on the fact that as humans, we're more drawn towards the energy others give off instead of the way they look. Some of the most memorable people I've met have had the most positive energy vibrating off them, it's infectious, it draws people towards you and I personally believe that it's one of the most magnificent traits to possess.

 At the end of the day, we are all just bodies, but it's our souls and personalities that shine through and make us who we are. In the past few years I've been trying to focus on that rather than the fact that I have some serious under eye bags when I haven't had enough sleep. 

That's not to say that I never wear makeup anymore, I am a fan of the flick of mascara on a day to day basis however I rarely wear a full face of foundation anymore. If I'm going for a night out, then admittedly I will spend time putting on some makeup and the fact that I rarely wear it makes me enjoy this experience even more. However now, it's more about enhancing the features I have instead of sculpting and covering them up with bucket loads of concealer. I've grown to really like my freckles, my dad would always say they were 'sun kisses' and lemme tell you, the sun must freakin' love me because I am a walking, talking freckle. However when I put any foundation on, it always covers them up and I think that's kinda sad because freckles are cool. 

This is really just a note to say, give it a go. It shouldn't be a big deal to wear no makeup but to some people it is. Societies view on makeup and natural beauty will only ever change if you start from the bottom up, and that begins with you. 

If you haven't seen the amazing work of Sonia Singh then definitely check it out. Sonia is the artist who created the 'Tree Change dolls'. These are originally Bratz dolls who have been stripped of their glitz and glamour to reveal a younger looking, natural faced beauty. The clothes they wear are all hand knitted by Sonia's mother. Awesome aren't they? Although the difference is pretty saddening and scary, it's really nice to think that the next generation of young girls in the world will hopefully feel a lot less pressure to look and dress a certain way and embrace their natural beauty. 



The video that inspired this whole post is posted below. I found it on the cooler website, which you should check out, it's by American comedian Amy Schumer, it's so funny but also pretty sad at the same time. Have a giggle and embrace ya natural beauty. 


What're your thoughts on makeup?

Share

2 comments:

  1. Well, I don't wear makeup because I don't feel like wearing it
    However, I think it's totally fine to wear it, for a little bit of pampering but not because you feel bad with your look and want to cover it up or show up something you aren't. Not that I don't' want sometimes a blemish free skin, but thinking of covering up doesn't make me feel any better.


    It's funny that when I was 13/14 I really wanted to buy makeup things and feel pretty with that, but growing up and being "in the age to wear makeup" just made me dislike to see it on myself.


    Lots of hugs, A
    http://myvolatilelove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree Admilla, as always, thanks for your opinion!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.