A few ways to wind down and chill.


In the lead up to summer, things start to get a bit hectic. The weather is warmer, work load increases for exams, summer plans start to buzz around in a frenzy and it can get pretty stressful to juggle everything. Once in a while, it's always nice to just take a day out or even just a few hours and spend it doing what you love and what makes you feel calm. I went back up to Northumberland recently for Easter and it felt like a much welcomed, and not to mention needed, detox. Here a few ways I found myself winding down and releasing the tension that's built up in the past few months.

1. Choose a good book and get yo read on.

I think it's pretty sad to see not many young people reading anymore, constantly glued to their phone screens and giving their attention to things for about 10 seconds. Whenever I spend too much time on my phone, I start to feel like there's a whirlwind going on in my head, like a major information overload. When you find a book which you can't put down it's something magic. Go to your nearest library/ book store and get a real book, not an ebook, but something that you can physically hold, bend, and feel. Sit down in a  comfy place and turn the first page, you don't know where it may lead you. 

2. Send a Thank You.

My birthday has recently passed (19, hollaa) and I made sure to find the time to write thank you letters to my friends and relatives who have sent me cards or presents. People often overlook this but showing your gratitude to people has actually been proven to make you a happier person. Even if it hasn't been your birthday, write a letter of thanks or appreciation to someone you admire and cherish in your life. Good things will come from it, plus who wouldn't want to put a smile on someone else face.

3. Create.

As a creative person through and through, making things will always be a major stress buster for me. However even if you don't think you're creative, I'd say give it a go. What you make doesn't have to be displayed in a gallery, it can be for your own personal enjoyment. Make a collage, tear out magazine pages, cut material, paint with your fingers or build a fortress. Just make and create and only joy will come from it.

4. Make your room a sanctuary. 

Nothing beats a good old relaxing bath, am I right? When your muscles feel tensed and you just need to relax, a shower will never match up to the oh so holy bath. Due to the fact that I rarely take baths, when I do, I make a big fuss about it. Bring some music in and listen to your favourite playlist (Ben Howard is a personal fave) turn on some mood lighting and start running the water. Bring in some candles, I've been using 'Vanilla Dreams' form Urban Outfitters and it's so good. Another thing I love, is using bath oil, I recently got some Jo Malone bath oil for my birthday and it makes bathing even more relaxing, plus when I get out, my skin feels like a babies butt. Always a plus. Basically... just take a bath. 

5. Pamper yourself

After having your bath, grab a face mask and do that. I've recently purchased some from The Body Shop, no animal testing, fair trade and 100% vegetarian, can I get a woop woop. Spend time putting it on, get some music playing in the background, read a book, meditate and just chill.

Don't let yourself get too wound up about things, everything will pass, so whatever you do, do it with love, passion and a smile on your face and you'll get through anything that comes your way.
Share

8 comments:

  1. I have nominated you for the Liebster award! http://unknownkc.blogspot.hk/2015/04/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Alexa! Especially number 2, even though I send a ton of letters each year I really want to get into writing little thankyou notes and "thinking of you" notes or just little messages to remind people they're appreciated. The only thing is that in this day an age people see it as a strange thing to do.... I don't mind. I WILL spread the positively and I will do it alone if I must!


    Hahah happy 19th to you too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a lovely post Alexa <3

    https://aspoonfulofnature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even have a room anymore.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Erin! YES! exactly, that's how I feel, digital is running my life at the moment, need to go back to handwritten. Yeah i see that, but also think people really treasure that thank you more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kasey, that's really nice xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah by the Sea18 May 2015 at 13:20

    Totally agree with these. Reading is one of my favourite therapies ^.^ as well as creating :D
    Such a great post


    xxo


    thesaltyseablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.