Time passes & 2015 Goals

"ONE DAY, YOU’RE 17 AND YOU’RE PLANNING FOR SOMEDAY. AND THEN QUIETLY, WITHOUT YOU EVER REALLY NOTICING, SOMEDAY IS TODAY. AND THEN SOMEDAY IS YESTERDAY. AND THIS IS YOUR LIFE."

There's a calmness in my household at the moment. We are sitting on the sofa, the fire is blazing, sending heat to our chilly toes which have just ventured outside into the bitter cold to fetch the logs for the fire. The Christmas tree is twinkling with fairy lights which catch my eye and every now and then i take a few minutes to soak in how cosy and 'Christmassy' the living room looks. I often find it quite interesting that each year Christmas feels slightly different but also the same. The decorations are mostly the same, the position of the tree is too, the baubles we put on the tree are the exact ones that come out each year, the nativity in the hallway is the one we have used ever since we moved into the house and our routine on Christmas day always plays out exactly the same. However each year we are one year older, Fraser now looks more like a man than a boy, my sister will be starting a full time job when she finishes her course this year, I'm officially a University student, life is moving at a pace which is hard to keep up with. I remember sitting in my sisters bed when we were younger and saying, 'just image when you are 20 years old Cesca, that's really old, and I will be 18, we will be proper adults and feel so grown up', how fast it has all gone. I still feel odd being at Uni, as if I'm too young, I have a feeling my sister feels that way about finding a full time job next year. It also got me thinking about what I have achieved in the past decade, sure there are small things, like passing my driving test, getting into University, trying new food or new experiences or even having my first full pint. All momentous in their own little way, but nothing that will change the world. I see people doing such amazing things on a daily basis, running marathons, raising money for charity, climbing mountains and exploring the world and here I am, sitting at home, a luxury in itself and not being able to think of one momentous thing I have done in my life. 18 years is a very long time to not do anything momentous. In a way it makes me sad, to think that I have been one of the extremely fortunate people in this world to live in a country like England, to grow up in the glorious countryside with a loving stable family and be able to go to school, to learn each and every day and feel safe when I'm walking home at night. So many people in the world don't have any of these things, and to think that I haven't done anything big to help them makes me slightly angry with myself. I'm only 18 and plan on living a long, happy and adventurous life, however in this life, I'd also like to work so much harder in making a change in the world, doing more charity work and volunteering more often. By no means do I, or should I have my life together by now, but I think it's important to make the changes you want in order to lead the life you would like to. So that's my goal for 2015, and every year after that. To live a little more, be more daring, go on more adventures and help more people less fortunate than me. 

As Dr Seuss wisely said in The Lorax, "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

Peace and Love,
Alexa


Image from Bldg 25

Share

3 comments:

  1. The quote that you began this post with always hits me hard, regardless of how many times I have read it...
    You have articulated so many thoughts which are always rushing though my brain on a daily basis so well - a very inspiring and relatable post!


    Love, Lucy
    www.farawaylucy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you liked the post Lucy! I always think it's important to stop and think what you've done and what you'd like out of life.
    Keep up the blogging!
    Alexa
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so beautiful! thank you for sharing ♥

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.