How To: Survive home sickness at University



First term is finally over, it's been a bit of a whirlwind really. I'm liking my course, however sometimes wish it was a little bit more creative. On the whole I'm loving Uni, it's brought along so many new opportunities, so many friendly faces and people I know are going to be friends for life. 

However one thing that I haven't loved in my first term has been homesickness. I've never been one to be totally reliant on my parents, granted they are amazing and do a lot for me which I am eternally grateful for. Nevertheless, I was never the child who rang their parents every day religiously whilst on a school trip, that was just never me. I'd say bye to my parents, give them a hug and a kiss, maybe speak to them once whilst away and come back all smiley and rosy cheeked, or if extremely tired, pretty grouchy with massive under eye bags and a unlikeable attitude. I've managed to not go home once in first term which is really quite an achievement in my eyes. I think it's important when leaving for Uni to at least make it a month without going home as at some point in your life, the nest is going to have to be flown. There have been those nights where I've had a few tears roll down my cheek as I'm missing home comforts such as my own bed, my mum and dad and my little brothers sarcastic attitude. I also really miss where I live. Living in the countryside has had a huge impact on my life and I thank my parents for allowing us to grow up there. Although it has made the homesickness slightly worse as it is so different to living in a city. To most of the girls here, a 40 minute drive is the distance between two cities and is an absolute trek, whereas that was just my daily commute to school. Everything is so much more spread out, but I love it. 

I put together a short list of tips and tricks to make the home sickness a little better. 

1. Decorate your room

My room at home has always been a bit of an organised mess, the whole 'floordrobe' thing was a real thing in my space. There are pictures on the wall, painted feathers taped next to picture frames and paper aeroplanes hanging from my ceiling in every direction. Going form this to a completely different blank, very bare and almost daunting room was a bit of a shock to the system. I started ordering some prints online, from sites such as FreePrints and PolaBora. I got print outs of the countryside, of landscapes and mountains and of pictures that I loved of my friends and family. I white tacked them to my wall and this immediately made it more homely. Fairy lights, posters, cards and little trinkets are also a good idea.

2. Leave your room

Some people make the mistake of hibernating in their room when feeling  bit homesick, I made sure not to do this as I knew it would only make it worse. Luckily I have a flat full of absolutely lovely people. Everyone is there for each other as we are all in the same position. Go and talk to one of your flatmates, you may find out that they are feeling exactly the same way.

3. Go explore your new hometown

Open your eyes are see how great of an opportunity you've been given. A new city, a new playground, a new set of friends, a new adventure. Make the most out of it, go outside and explore, find little cafes which will become your go-to places. Make friends with the local florist and visit the markets to see different sides of the hopefully thriving city you're living in.

4. Talk to your family. 

With modern technology, you're never really too far from your family. Call them, FaceTime them, Skype them, text them, Facebook them, just talk. If you're missing them, chances are they are missing you too. Having a quick chat to my mum would always make me feel better.

5. Have a night in.

At uni sometimes it's quite hard to say no to a night out, however occasionally you really do need a night in. At home as I lived so far from everything, going out into Newcastle would be a fairly big thing. My friends and I probably went out once every 2 or three weeks. Whereas when you start uni, you're probably gonna go out and get drunk every few, if not every night. Which when you think bout it, is a bit mad. So have a night in, watch a movie, do a face mask and get a good nights sleep, it'll only ever benefit you.

6. Go Home,

If you're really struggling, then go home. In most cases, it's just a train ride away. There's no shame in that, most people do it and you'll probably feel better afterwards. 
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.