An ode to the letter writers

It's Autumn now and there's a brisk cold wind in the air. It wraps around your body as you hurriedly walk to lectures. Enveloping you in a sense of sharpness, making all the small hairs raise on your arms and your skin feel cold to touch. Despite this, I love autumn, I love the way it makes nature come alive, how the trees burst with colour and their leaves fly to the ground like fireworks in slow motion.  I love wrapping a thick woollen scarf around my neck and putting on a huge jumper which feels like walking in a huge hug. There's a contrast between autumn in the countryside compared to in the city. The countryside back home becomes a collage of browns, reds and oranges. The floor becomes a crunchy carpet of coloured leaves. The grass in the fields becomes crisp to walk on as the morning frost caresses it's blades. The city looks clean, as if the council are trying to hold back mother natures wishes for Autumn to come. The roads remain clear but people hurriedly meander from place to place in thick coats, gloves and scarves carrying with them a feeling of excitement for the Autumn months to come. The parks are littered with leaves, as if they're a creative outlet for nature to express herself. I laid out a blanket on a floor of Autumnal leaves and retrieved my pen and paper from my huge rucksack and here I sat, content, and began to write. I wrote to my friend Emily back home a long letter, five pages long about University, missing home, making friends and feelings. I haven't written a letter in so long so my soul poured out through my pen onto paper. Writing letters is such a stress buster, it let's you relax, to release your locked up emotions and feel peaceful and free. I walked back home with a clearer head and a happier stride. Folding the letter up and sliding it into a brown envelope, writing Emily's address on the front and getting out my watercolours to illustrate the envelope. I painted waves and suns and finally sealed it, feeling a sense of anticipation to send it. 

If you ever feel lonely, stressed, have something to say or are even bored, just find a peaceful place and bring a pen and paper and just let your mind travel and explore your memories, feelings, doubts and  excitement and simply write what you feel, you won't regret it.










Share

10 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post! You've made me want to go for a lovely autumn morning walk then come home and sit by the fire and enjoy a hot chocolate and watch a classic black and white film! Ha!
    such a gorgeous time of year, and I love writing letters too. Used to have a pen pal when I was younger but faded out as things do, so nice to come home to a hand written letter! Hope you're enjoying uni.
    Love Laura xox
    www.cathaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexas Imagination9 October 2014 at 04:00

    What a lovely comment, thank you very much for posting that. I love Autumn, it's so refreshing, in a chilly kind of way. I used to have pen pals too, but they do face away sometimes. Thanks, Uni is great. Alexa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Beth, that means a lot! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing, such a clever and nifty idea! I used to be a member of a pen pal service on tumblr but then people wouldn't always write back or sometimes id fall culprit to that too. I know exactly what you mean, letter writing should be done more often.
    Thank you very much! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I've just found your Poetry tumblr blog and I am honestly amazed, so much care and beauty put into your words. Completely in love, gave your Instagram a follow so I can have some poetic inspiration from day to day. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing style is really very beautiful. I agree that large sweaters feel like a cozy hug. http://lamentinglizzie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much! I have to say that I do too, love breathing in the wild air that autumn brings! Hope you have a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much, that's so nice of you to say. Cant go wrong with a woolly sweater x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post was simply marvelous. I love your writing style and agree with you fully throughout the whole text. It is nice to know that a person somewhere far away shares some of my opinions, especially about autumn. Continue doing your great work, hope to read more of you.
    Angela

    pagesofafuturesomeone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Angela, that really means a lot. Happy days to you!

    Alexa x

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.